Inform your home insurer if you have a lodger says ABI

Having a lodger in your house could affect your home insurance policy says the Association of British Insurers so you need to inform your insurance company.

Home insurance companies need to know this information because a policy is directly related to risk, and having someone else living with you could alter the risk.

So if you have a lodger you should disclose this to your household insurance company straight away or you could find that your policy is null and void. This is because as a homeowner you are giving access and responsibility to somebody else in your home.

For more information on home insurance see our comparison table.